Sunday, September 29, 2019

Correct Pronunciation Of 25 Commonly Mispronounced English Words

25 शब्दों का सही उच्चारण गलत अंग्रेजी शब्दों का उच्चारण

We say pronounce, pronounced and pronouncing,  but this is pronunciation ( there is no noun in this word) eg. His English pronunciation is quite good. 
Says   SEZ  Mispronounced as SAY-Z
Always remember, I say, you say, but he or she says. eg. He always says positive things, that motivate us. 
Often – अक्सर
Aw-fen or Aw-f-tun
More common with the t silent, I recommend this
EG – I Often watch movies as they are released.
Et cetera (etc) Often used as an acronym
ET-CET-RAA  AND NOT Ek – sec traa
EG – Bring apples, oranges, milk etc while coming home.
Next word that is often mispronounced by people is 
WOMEN – WI-min
Singular is Woman , but plural is Wi-min
I know it ends in MEN, you might think it’s men, but this is the crazy spelling system
EG – More and more WI-Men are joining the Indian Army.
Lingerie
Lin-guh-reee XX.   it is pronounced as Lawn-zuh-ray 
Female under garments 
EG –  The mall has a good lingerie store. 
Police
Puh-lees and not police It is PUH-LEES with the stress on lees.
EG – The police is investigating the matter. 
Poem
Its not Poy-em It’s poe -um  
EG – The girl wrote a beautiful poe-um
Iron 
It’s not eye-run , It is eye-en
EG – I need to iron my crushed shirt. 
Coupon 
Not Koo-pun. Its Koo-pawn   
EG – I have 2 free discount coupons, you can use them. 
Vehicle
Vee-a-kl. Often mispronounced as VEH-KL
E IS A LONG VOWEL (streched) and H is silent so you say it as vee-a-kl
EG – There are too many vehicles in my city, with causes traffic jam.
Genre
How would you say it ? The correct pronunciation is GAWN – RAA
listen to the first sound it’s ZHHH, you have put air out 
Don’t say it Genree, It means a category of something such as movies, music.
EG – What Genre of music you like to listening to.  Its Gawn-raa
Video 
The one you are watching right now. It’s VI -DI- O 
THE I AND E IN THIS WORD IS PRONOUNCED AS SHORT E SOUND 
IT’S not eve-dee -oo it’s vi-di-o
EG – I Like watching English Video lessons from Learnex. 
Comment 
K-aw-ment. I have many students say  K-ment , that’s wrong, Whether you use it as a verb or an noun it is always KAW-ment eg comment is a noun and to comment is a verb 
EG – We love the comments you write. 
Hotel 
HO-TEL This words has two syllable Ho and Tel, and it’s defiantly not Hotal, It’s Ho-TEL , tell as in Tell me, and tell is stressed. 
EG – The ho-tel stay was very comfortable. 
Comfortable 
  don’t get Corfused with the word table, it’s tbl, In this words KUM and TBL are stressed and the F in the middle is less stressed. 
Table 
Tay-bl Its a two syllable word and the first part is stressed. 
EG – We need to buy a dinning table. 
Suite
Sweet  – A set of connected rooms in a Ho-tel and is wrongly pronounced as SUIT. Bit it’s SWEET, like the sweets we eat. 
EG – I can’t afford to book a sweet at the hotel. 
Restaurant 
This word gives trouble to many students, Don’t get confused with long spelling. It’s REST-RAUNT and not resterant . Many people confused between Restaurant and Hotel
Restaurant – To eat and Hotel – to stay
EG – There’s a Chinese restaurant inside the Hotel. 
When you stay at the Hotel, you get a free or complimentary Breakfast. ( Say Wrong) Not it’s not Break Fast, It’s Break-fust
It’s called Break-fust
You know what I had for breakfast today , I had PEET-Sa , It not called a pee-zaa or Piza, it’s PEET-SAA.
EG –  I usually have peet-zaa for dinner. 
After my BreakFast I like to eat something sweet, so I always Have a Chocolate, ( say Wrong)
It’s Chalk-let  just two syllable Chalk and let.
EG –  I always eat chalk-let after my meal. 
Instead of having a Chocolate, I can also have a Di-ZERT  it has two syllable, starts with a di and syllable starts with a ZH sound ZERT, di-sert, This is something you have after the meal and should not be confused with Desert desert means registan,  a lot of people say desert, it’s di-zert
Sour 
Dizerts are sweet, but what about this taste, It is SA-WER  some people say Sarr, that is a miseronunciation , like hot and saar soup, no , it’s hot and SA-wer soup.
I like to start my meal with a hot and sawer soup. 
Bowl – BOL
EG –  Have a hot bol of soup you will feel better.
Receipt  – re-cept  | re-ceet
some letters in English have silent letters such as ri-seet, it’s not receipt. The P is silent. 
Like when you pay a bill you get a ri-seet, 
EG – I paid my hotel bill and I got a ri-seet
EG – Always take a  riceet for my mobile phone to claim warrant in the future.
Now when you don’t pay your bill yourself in Debt 
Its DET and not debt 
EG – f you don’t pay your credit card bills you would be in debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what is "Schwa"?

What is Schwa? is a linguistic term that refers to the most common vowel sound in English . It is pronounced as a short, unstressed, and neu...